Mark Sharp established a business as a bootmaker at 394 (later renumbered 422) High Street Northcote in 1896. Northcote and Preston had a number of bootmakers, no doubt due to the ready access to leather from the numerous tanneries in the area.
Sharp continued to make footwear for many years before the establishment of footwear manufacturers made the individual bootmaker obsolete.
By 1941 H. Sharp was running a motorcycle repair shop from the former bootmakers premise. In 1967 the business finally left the Sharp family’s hands and became a hairdressers.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.