After many years working with Frederick Yann, a prominant and successful Preston wheelwright and blacksmith, William Rowe established his business on the west side of High Street on the corner of High Street and Miller Street in 1908.
From this small weathboard building Rowe was to operate for the next sixteen years, offering a range of services from the shoeing of horses to the construction of buggies and wagons.
Eventually the replacement of horse and carriage with motor vehicles saw the closing of most of Darebin's blacksmiths, with Rowe closing down in 1926. By the next year his premise was being demolished for the construction of new shops.
Carroll, Brian & Rule, Ian (1985). Preston: an Illustrated History. Preston: City of Preston.
Northcote Leader (Northcote, Vic. : 1882 - )
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.