Francis Watson established his blacksmith’s business on the corner of High Street and Robbs Parade in around 1855. Watson had arrived in the colony of Victoria in 1855, coming from Manchester on the sailing ship “Western Bride”, with his wife, daughter and three sons.
Francis was well known for his memory, frequently quoting long passages from Shakespeare. Watson sold the business to Wallace in 1903 and died six years later in 1909.
Watson’s son, Arthur, established a corn business on part of his father’s property at 354 High Street.
Watson’s daughter Ann, never married but devoted her life to looking after her father after the death of his wife in 1868. She lived all her life in Northcote.