The Tomkins family were well known dairymen in the Thornbury area. S. G. Tomkins started his business at 40 Shaftesbury Parade in 1924. Like many local dairies, he lived in a building at the front of the property and established his milking sheds in the back of the property.
P. W. Tomkins established a second dairy at the corner of St. Georges Road and Shaftesbury Parade around 1934. Previously he had operated a small dairy from 10 Mansfield Street Thornbury. The new dairy was hailed as a modern marvel, with the latest milking and bottling equipment. With specialised sterilizing equipment the dairy particularly catered for babies and the elderly.
City of Northcote (1933). Northcote Jubilee celebrations 1883 – 1933 : souvenir & official program. Northcote: Author.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Ward, Andrew (2001). Darebin Heritage Review 2000. Burwood, Vic: City Of Darebin.